Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:42:53 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Mikkel C. Simonsen" <mcs@post5.tele.dk>, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elitegroup K7S5A - SIS 735 chipset

Mikkel C. Simonsen <mcs@post5.tele.dk> types:
> > Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:34:16 -0800
> > From: Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
> > Subject: Re: Elitegroup K7S5A - SIS 735 chipset
> > > Is the K7S5A mainboard and the SIS 735 chipset supported by FreeBSD
> > > 4.4-STABLE? What about the onboard ide controller? Can I run my hard
> > > disks in udma66 or udma100 mode?
> > No, only UDMA33. The networking isn't supported.
> Isn't the networking supported by the sis driver? For other OSes you use
> the SiS900 driver - and the SiS900 should be supported by the sis
> driver. Does the kernel find the lan chip?

As Kent Stewart pointed out, there's no driver for the PHY. If you
know of an open source driver that works on the 735 - especially the
KS75A - as opposed to just the SiS 900, please let us know where it
is!

Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com> types:
> >Is the K7S5A mainboard and the SIS 735 chipset supported by FreeBSD
> >4.4-STABLE? What about the onboard ide controller? Can I run my hard
> >disks in udma66 or udma100 mode?
> >Any known problems with this mainboard and FreeBSD?
> >
> >Your comments are welcome! Tnx!
>
> I've heard good (performance) things about that chipset, but SiS is
> legendary for making crappy, unreliable, flaky, buggy hardware that drives
> up the support costs of companies selling mobo's based on their chipsets.
> It may work fine, I dunno, but is the $20 you'll have worth your time and
> headache if it doesn't?

The last two chipsets from SiS have proven gotten good stability
reports as well as good performance reports. If this were the first
SiS chipset, I might be a bit worried. Given that they've apparently
found someone who can do the job properly, I wouldn't worry much about
it.

That the on-board goodies - network, audio and high-speed IDE - don't
work is a minor problem. If you really want to use it, you might wait
and see if problems start surfacing when that starts getting used.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.