Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 23:40:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        nathan@rtfm.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free VMWare and open BIOS!

> He's labouring under the belief that GPL authors seek out commercial code
> and attempt to subvert their markets by cloning the software.

From what I can see, there is NO aggressive attempt (conspiracy) on
the part of GPL advocates to seek out and destroy commercial
software in general.  However, it is clear (yet another posting on
USENET), that there are significant numbers of people not
understanding some of the regressive aspects of GPL.  There are also
some aspects of hatred in the computer community towards certain
vendors and certain classes of individuals (developers), and by
building a zealous community based upon that is going to eventually
lead to self-destructive behavior.

Licenses are *tools*, and sometimes there are unintended effects
of any tool (busted finger with a hammer, broken screwdriver being
used as a crowbar, or destroying an auto's brake system by using
the wrong type of fluid :-().  GPL is the kind of tool that has
a very focused effect, isn't well proven legally, and is likely
being used like the screwdriver above all too often.

IMO, the best attitude about licenses is to try to convince people
to read the license and understand the short and long term effects
before pasting them on the top of a program.  Also, TRY to convince
people to educate themselves on which licensed software package
is worthless to invest lots and lots of effort on, and which
licensed software package that allows you to capitalize on their
own creativity.

For those people who use software as a black-box (therefore don't
see any disadvantages to GPL), it is also good to educate them as
to the fact that given free license terms (as opposed to the non
free GPL) developers can support themselves as DEVELOPERS.
It is a socially very good thing to support those who give away
lots of hard work to the user base.  If the developers are given
very little advantage, then the stagnation of the "not necessarily
evil, but definitely too powerful empire" will be exchanged for
the stagnation of the GPL "it isn't worth developing based from this
platform."

Alas, long term thinking is now totally missing, and as such, GPL
will very effectively seduce parts of the industry into mediocracy,
reinventing the results of real work and innovation.  Hopefully,
both free and commercial software will overtake that stagnating
carbon-copy influence.

John