Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 1999 14:40:17 -0500
From:      Mike <phate1@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't set maxusers to 512.

Hi all,

FreeBSD 3.0 stable
Pentium 400 Xeon x2 (SMP)
512MB Ram

Recently moved from 3.0R to 3.0S, had trouble at first, but finally got
it working.

The problem is, I can't set maxusers to 512, this is going to be a very
a heavy serving box, and I would need the extra open files, file
descriptors, etc..

The problem is, after the box boots up, when i login via the console
(and httpd, ftp starts, etc) kernel panics:

panic: pmap_new_proc: u_map allocation failed

I can set it to 256, 384 without any problems

I remember I couldnt set this to 512 as well on my earlier box which had
only 384MB Ram, (kmem_alloc() panicked right after detecting the memory)
This panic is after the boot process is finished..

Can someone elucidate me if me not be able to set maxusers to 512 is a
memory issue, or do I have add another option to kernel config??

Thanks in advance!
Yev