Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:01:40 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com
Subject:   Re: shouting in a void?

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 03:22:15 GMT, Terry Lambert wrote:

> If you don't have a repository, then you don't need to follow
> either the commit logs nor a subset of the commit logs, since
> you aren't going to be able to check out the code if you
> see something interesting go by... right?

Well, you are able, it's just a mission. You can use the CVSWeb
interface to find out what's changed on a file.

I assume you're talking about people who use CVSup to fetch the latest
sources? The attached shell script can be used by CVSup users to find
out what was changed in the "deltas" shown in CVSup output. With a
little massaging, it could easily be taught to fetch _all_ diffs on _any
file changed during a CVSup run.

Ciao,
Sheldon.
--------
#!/bin/sh

if [ -z $2 ] ; then
	echo 'usage: lastdiff.sh <path/file> <last rev>' >/dev/stderr
	echo '    or lastdiff.sh <path/file> <first rev> <last rev>' \
	    >/dev/stderr
	exit 1
fi

file=${1#/}

if [ -n "$3" ] ; then
	curr=$3
	prev=$2
else
	curr=$2
	major=${curr%.*}
	minor=$((${curr##*.}-1))
	if [ $minor = 0 ] ; then
		prev=$major
	else
		prev=$major.$minor
	fi
fi

url=http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/$file.diff?r1=$prev\&r2=$curr

fetch -o - $url || \
	echo Error fetching diff -r$prev -r$curr for $file