Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 11:37:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: News group split time?

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Is it time to reorg the group?
> >
> > I vote for comp.freebsd.* or comp.bsd.freebsd.*...

Terry's favorite horse. :)

No Terry, we are not UNIX(trashmark), but nevertheless, people used to
categorize BSD as "unix" (not in capitals).

> I'm not sure that anyone but a madman would embark upon a hierarchy
> change at this point, but it certainly wouldn't be out of the question
> to discuss the creation of additional categories.  .{questions,development}
> anyone?

.misc is 99 % .questions

.development is unneeded since development happens in mailing lists,
not in Usenet.  I'm all for a split, but judging from the traffic
there, and from our experience with the comp.os.386bsd hierarchy, i
have yet to see a good way that would also be accepted by the Usenet
users (since they have to decide where to post).  A split that just
causes everybody to crosspost his question into 2 groups doesn't gain
us anything.

--
cheers, J"org