Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 2014 09:59:06 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, marino@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

On 6/4/2014 09:46, Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote:

>> I know for certain that people in the past have given up after submitting
>> PRs that were never answered.  While I know we don't have the manpower to
>> deal with all of them, that should at least be our ideal.
>
> Yes. It is really frustrating to create a bug-report with a complete
> patch just to wait for some months and seeing that nothing happens. And
> even after offering help it is closed with "timeout" and the bug still
> exists.

That's not what a timeout is.  Timeout does not mean "close the PR
regardless after a certain about of time".  PRs generally stay open
indefinitely unless the problem has been resolved or the situation is
obsolete.

If what you said occurred, that was wrong.  I'd have to see the actual
PR to verify no misunderstanding though.  I just want to nip in the bud
some kind of misconcept about "timeouts" ... which means (for ports PRs)
any committer can taken over the PR and the maintainer has no right to
complain about that.  The timeout is on the maintainer, not the PR.

> And yes: trivial bugs are important. If something trivial not work, why
> use it? So it should be very easy to submit a report.

Non-sequitur.
Besides "trivial" being an extremely loaded word that doesn't indicate
the true cost of the fix, I see no relation of the severity of said bug
versus the reporting process.  It would logically follow that critical
bugs should therefore be extremely difficult to report, which is, of
course, absurd.  The process should be the same regardless.

John