Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:20:45 -0500
From:      Alan Weber <aauu@ccms.net>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Mail Buffering/Echo/Relay ??

We have our company mail arriving on a Linux Box in another city that is
using QMAIL. Our local users are using win 95 and various clients
netscape/outlook express/outlook/(eudora?) and dial-up ppp connections
to the internet to retrieve their email. For various reasons users are
losing/not getting their mail reliably. We are having to ask our
clients/vendors to resend their mail multiple times (5 times recently).
This is truly embarrasing and I want to find a way to resolve this
problem.

I am assuming that QMAIL is working reliably as I dont have any problem
getting my mail from this server.

I am thinking about putting FreeBSD on an old 486 and dialing the
internet every half hour to poll for mail. I was going to use fetchmail
with the keep option so we get a copy on the FreeBSD box and I can then
look there for mail that is missing.

Is there a better way to accomplish the goal of safekeeping/copying
mail?