Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:23:13 +0100
From:      Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@sebster.com>
To:        Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: argument list too long

Zero Sum wrote:

> Man 'xargs'.

I know what xargs does. Do you want me to use xargs to run tar many times,
appending some files each time? That's a pretty lousy solution if you ask
me.

> FWTW, the size of the command line buffer is a charatristic of the shell
> you use not the operating system.  Don't be so quick to attack or you make
> a fool of yourself.

eeyore(ttype:9:0):/usr/src/usr.bin> strings /usr/bin/tar | grep "Argument"
Argument list too long

Oh really, then why is that string part of the tar binary. Why does it come
from /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/errlst.c? Why does it seem to be part of libc?
And why DIDN'T Linux have any problems (tried using both tcsh and bash
on both Linux and FreeBSD).

I didn't attack any OS (other than perhaps DOS), I just stated my opinion
that I don't like having limits on argument lists.

> Oh, and...  The way to use tar and find is...
>
> find . -name "*.jsp" -depth | tar -czvf jsp.tgz
>
> Which won't tell you that your argument list is too long.

You're right. It didn't. It also made an EMPTY tar file (except for a
header). I don't see anywhere in the tar manpage that you use it in this
way to get a file name list from stdin (and it doesn't work for me).
In fact, I read the man page several times because I couldn't figure
out how to do just that. And I still don't know.

Thanks for the -depth option. That worked, even though it's not directly
obvious from the man page (yes, I did read it) that this is the way to do it.

> So if you had used find and tar correctly you would not have had a problem
> which led to you making an inappropriate and irrelevant slur on an
> operating system of which you demonstrate a lack of fundamental
> understanding.

Well, using your fundamental understanding didn't help me much either.

> I would heartily recommend looking reading Unix manual until you know what
> it's genral features are and how it works.
>
> Sorry, I've had a bad day.

So you try to make yourself feel better by trying to spoil other people's
day? By insulting people who have legitimate questions? And by blurting
a lot of incorrect information?

> Geoff

This mailing list is so people can HELP eachother. If you don't know how
to help people or can't do it in a friendly way, then do us all a favor
and don't answer email on this mailing list.

Greetings,
Sebastiaan van Erk