Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 10:27:08 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
Cc:        newton@communica.com.au (Mark Newton), spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: comments on the SYN attack

In message <199609211220.FAA06633@ns.frihet.com> "David E. Tweten" writes:
: Oh, and "Nice idea, Werner."

The idea was stolen, by me and at least one other that I've since
seen[*], from another context.  Van Jacobson and his team over at LBLL
proposed something called a RED gateway.  As the queue length
increases, random packets are dropped in increasing likelyhood.
Evidentally, this provides the right kind of feedback to TCP to have
it slow down.  I was merely wondering if this might be applied well to
the problem at hand.

The random method is different than the discard the oldest, and may or
may not work better....  Tests are underway right now.

Warner

[*] Since I made my original suggestion, I have seen mail from Robert
Morris forwarded to another list suggesting the same thing, but more
coherently.