Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 01:07:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, nbm@mithrandr.moria.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults! (Was: Re: wats  so special about freeBSD?)

As an effort to attempt to keep 'the peace'....why not provide the options
of a 'install nothing' (like openbsd) 'install like a desktop' 'install
like a server' 'install everything' and these options are from the 'easy
install' (in the past called novice)

Or, perhaps as part of a net install, load your install  profile over the
wire.  (that fully scriptable install fantasy....)  In such a scripting
world, the standard as shipped can be as BSDi/FreeBSD wants, and BrettBSD
can be set up as Mr. Glass wants.  Set options to suck the script from
net/cd/floppy/audio tape on the cassette interface/paper tape/data lines
and load swich/telepathic link/whatever.....

I could make a whole bunch of suggestions, but then I'd have to code them,
so I'll sit back down and shut up.