Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 09:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul LaFollette <lafollet@netaxs.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ppi.c and PERIPH_1284 questions

Hi,
I am trying to infer (i.e. reverse engineer) the control sequences used
by a device that connects to an EPP/ECP port.  I want to log the
transactions between a PC running Gatesware and the peripheral from
the evil-company-that-wont-provide-programming-information.

I propose to do the following:
Grab an old PC, stick in two EPP/ECP ports (call them port-PC and port-S).
Connect port-PC to the Gatesware machine using a cable wired as suggested
in the ppi.c file.  Hook up port -S to the peripheral with a standard printer
cable.  Grab everythiing coming from port-PC and send it to port-S, and
vice versa.  Log it all along the way.  I have several questions/concerns:

o) Has someone already done this?  Is there code floating around
somewhere that I can use or modify?

i) I am guessing that I want to configure port-PC with the
options PERIPH_1284 asserted.
What about port-S? If port-S should
NOT have this option, then is there an easy way to assert the option
for ppi0 and not for ppi1?  (easy means without hacking the ppi.c source.)

ii) Do I even want to use ppi for port-S?  Or do I want to use a different
device?

iii) When ppi is in PERIPH_1284 mode, do read and write work (in addition to?
instead of? ioctl)? From looking at the driver, it looks like they do.

iv) Is there any documentation for ppi and PERIPH_1284 beyond what I
have found in ppi.c and LINT?

v) Will this idea even work?  Am I wasting my time?

vi) Do I need to worry about getting port-PC into "input" mode before I
attach the cable?  Can I damage the ports if both are in "output" mode when
I hook them together?

vii) What have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks for any sugestions you can offer.  At the moment I am unsubscribed
from "questions" so email would be appreciated.  Feel free to forward to
a more appropriate list if I have picked the wrong one.

Paul LaFollette
CIS Dept.
Temple University
lafollet@netaxs.com