Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:00:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, sml_freebsd_questions@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: Minimum filesystem block size

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> types:
> Scott M. Lewandowski <sml_freebsd_questions@hotmail.com> types:
> > I am thinking of deploying qmail to take advantage of the Maildir format
> > that it offers. However, it seems like this will be very wasteful of space.
> > According to the newfs man page, the minimum disk block size is 4096 bytes.
> > Since Maildir stores each new mail message, as well as all archived mail
> > messages, as separate files, this means that each email will take up 4K of
> > disk space, even though my average mail message is only ~1K. Is this
> > correct, or am I missing something? Is there any way to use a smaller block
> > size on a new filesystem?
> You're missing fragments in the file system. Any partial blocks in a
> file are stored in fragments, not blocks, and fragments are shared
> amongst files. I always use the default (1k), but it can be as low as
> 512 bytes (with 4K blocks). Reread the newfs man page for details.

Just to clarify the "fragments are shared amongst files", I meant that
blocks that hold fragments can hold fragments from more than one
file. So with three files of sizes 24K + 828 bytes, 576 bytes, and
1812 bytes on a 4K/1K file system, you get a file with 6 blocks and a
fragment (828 bytes of 1K) and two files that are pure fragment; one
being one fragment (576 bytes of 1K) and one of two (1812 bytes of
2K). The fragments could all fit in one block, meaning your total disk
usage is 7 blocks (6 blocks for the first file, and one block for the
fragments of all the rest), not counting inodes, directory blocks,
etc.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.