Date:      Mon, 11 Apr 2011 08:21:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One final question about NFS ... or so I hope ...

> It used to be that if you did a 'mount' on the client server, it would
> tell you what options existed on the mount ... but now, it just shows
> (nfs) ... my fstab entry looks like:
>
> 192.168.1.8:/vm/neptune.hub.org /vm/neptune.hub.org
> nfs rw,noauto,intr,tcp,nolockd 0 0
>
> Mounts fine, no errors, and postfix works, so that I know that nolockd
> option is working as expected ... but when I type 'mount', I get:
>
> 192.168.1.8:/vm/neptune.hub.org on /vm/neptune.hub.org (nfs)
>
> If I do 'mount -p' (fstab output), I get:
>
> # mount -p | grep 192.168
> 192.168.1.8:/vm/neptune.hub.org /vm/neptune.hub.org nfs rw
> 0 0
>
> So, how do I view what options are present on a FreeBSD nfs mount?

At this point, there isn't a way. Basically, you will get what you
specify on the mount (or fstab line, if you prefer), plus rsize,wsize
will be set based on what the server prefers unless they are specifically
specified.

There was a recent discussion w.r.t. this and one suggestion was an
option on nfsstat to show what is actually being used. This might get
done someday by me, if no one else steps up to the plate.

> I checked our Linux boxes at the office, and they definitely do show
> the
> mount options:
>
> 3.165:/vol/prd_db_logs/filer_log2 on /filer_log02 type nfs
> (rw,bg,hard,nointr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,tcp,actimeo=0,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,addr=10.1.13.165)

My understanding (which could be incorrect) is that the nfsstat option
in Linux shows what is actually being used vs the above, which shows what
was specified in the mount command. (Probably rsize, wsize will be the
only ones affected by this, I think.)

rick