Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:20:26 -0700
From:      "Owen" <cigam@home.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A bit of Apache direction please...

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C12506.EFE861A0

Hello,
I had Apache web server all setup on my server machine.
It was a bit slow, so thinking it must be either
1) (most likely) my cable connection
2) the computer which has only 32 mbs old ram with a 133 pentium =
processor
3) Apache with all of the modules/additions I put on in

So I wanted to see how fast it would run without the modules/additions =
include with it. So on root I ran /stand/sysinstall
and uninstalled all the apache stuff, then I rebooted, and then put back =
on just the apache 1.3 without the ipv6. But, it wouldn't run, and on =
reboot, it just says syntax error, and it can't find two folders with =
look like module folders. So, I think that on uninstall, some trails are =
left from apache and/or it's modules. Is this a fair assumption?

Also, with just the barebones Apache, will it run noticeably different =
without all of the modules/add-ons?
Would the speed problem be more of a connection thing? Or would it be =
more involved with my system?
Mind you, I'm just serving basic non-cgi/php/asp/etc. webpages with a =
bit of flash.

Thank you very much for your time!!
Owen

p.s. Because I'm using my cable connection, I don't think that I can do =
virtual hosting right? Don't I have to secure the path with dns servers =
to use virtual hosting? Let's say I own www.foobar.com, but and then I =
want people to be directed to my server which is serving www.foobar.com. =
I want the title to remain foobar.com and not =
http://24.123.123.123/foobar, so how do I do that? I've really tried to =
read all of the docs, I'm not coming here on first resort, I just don't =
know how to working dns stuff.

A million thank-yous and plenty of kissess!!!

Owen

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C12506.EFE861A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>I had Apache web server all setup on my server =

machine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>It was a bit slow, so thinking it must be=20
either</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>1) (most likely) my cable =
connection</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>2) the computer which has only 32 mbs old ram =
with a 133=20
pentium processor</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>3) Apache with all of the modules/additions I =
put=20
on&nbsp;in</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>So I wanted to see how fast it would run =
without the=20
modules/additions include with it. So on root I ran=20
/stand/sysinstall</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>and uninstalled all the apache stuff, then I =
rebooted,=20
and then put back on just the apache 1.3 without the ipv6. But, it =
wouldn't run,=20
and on reboot, it just says syntax error, and it can't find two folders =
with=20
look like module folders. So, I think that on uninstall, some trails are =
left=20
from apache and/or it's modules. Is this a fair assumption?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Also, with just the barebones Apache, will it =
run=20
noticeably different without all of the modules/add-ons?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Would the speed problem be more of a =
connection thing?=20
Or would it be more involved with my system?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Mind you, I'm just serving basic =
non-cgi/php/asp/etc.=20
webpages with a bit of flash.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Thank you very much for your =
time!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Owen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>p.s. Because I'm using my cable connection, I =
don't=20
think that I can do virtual hosting right? Don't I have to secure the =
path with=20
dns servers to use virtual hosting? Let's say I own <A=20
href=3D"http://www.foobar.com">www.foobar.com</A>, but and then I want =
people to=20
be directed to my server which is serving <A=20
href=3D"http://www.foobar.com">www.foobar.com</A>. I want the title to =
remain=20
foobar.com and not <A=20
href=3D"http://24.123.123.123/foobar">http://24.123.123.123/foobar</A>, =
so how do=20
I do that? I've really tried to read all of the docs, I'm not coming =
here on=20
first resort, I just don't know how to working dns stuff.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>A million thank-yous and plenty of=20
kissess!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Owen</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C12506.EFE861A0--