Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:08:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS mounts in /etc/fstab fail to mount at boot

Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com> types:
> I've run into this once before and it has me baffled.  When I boot my machine
> the nfs mounts in /etc/fstab:
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
> /dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/da0s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
> netapp1-e5:/home        /MFX            nfs     rw,bg,soft,-3   0       0
> netapp1-e6:/vol/slash/home      /home   nfs     rw,bg,soft,-3   0       0
> fail to mount automatically.  The output of mount -d -a -t nfs when run by
> /etc/rc is empty.  However if I log into the machine and do the mount -d -a -t
> nfs command it shows the correct thing, i.e.:
>
>     exec: mount_nfs -o bg -o soft -3 netapp1-e5:/home /MFX
>     exec: mount_nfs -o bg -o soft -3 netapp1-e6:/vol/slash/home /home
>
> At the same time some of the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d do not run at boot
> time (specifially the samba.sh script that is installed by the port).  I can
> run it by hand it works properly, but it just doesnt trigger at boot.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas here?  Thanks much!

Yes, show us the error messages!

I have a system that does that. Specifically, the *first* time I boot
it after powering it on, the NFS mounts time out. If I interrupt them,
the next thing that tries to use the network card times out. If I
reboot it after having the network up, everything works fine.

I assume it's a problem with the card initialization, but haven't
gotten around to looking into it. Are you seeing that kind of behavior
by any chance.

	<mike