Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 14:03:53 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        "'Alfred Perlstein'" <bright@wintelcom.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.1 lockup at isa0: on reboot

I booted the machine with power up, logged in as
root, did "shutdown -h now", hit space to reboot.
During the countdown I hit "space" then at the
"ok" prompt? I typed "boot -v [ENTER]"

More info DID scroll by before the hang, but
I didn't see any difference in the output at
the point of the hang. The last 3 lines were
the same as without the "boot -v":

npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT16 interface
isa0: <ISA bus> on motherboard

I don't think the "npx0:" lines are related to
the "isa0:" line. At this point the machine
appears locked up. No disk or other observable
activity. If I had to guess from my HW design
experience I'd say there's an obscure register
somewhere that the firmware initializes properly
on a hardware boot, but that is missed by the
software reset. This would seem to be fixable by
simply isolating the register(s) and adding
their initialization to the code somewhere.

Looks like I might have to figure out how to
setup my system for kernel debug...

Any other ideas before I start reading the
kernel debug web pages ... I don't really want
to have to figure out how to install and use a
new (to me) compiler/debugger combo, not to
mention getting all the source etc... I've got
the 4 CD subscription set, is the source and
all that on there somewhere? Don't tell me I
also get to figure out how to use CVS at the
same time <grin>. I really need to quite
playing with this computer and finish putting
the new floor joists where the bathroom is
supposed to be...