Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:46:09 -0400
From:      Stephen Cass <s.cass@ieee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IEEE Journalist looking for facts about Microsoft use of BSD code

Hello,

Forgive my intrusion into this mailing list. I'm a journalist with
IEEE Spectrum  magazine (www.spectrum.ieee.org). I'm following up the
Wall Street Journal article of June 18th, which describes how
Microsoft uses FreeBSD code.

I'm aware that many of the utilities like FTP, etc use BSD code and
that services like Hotmail also use FreeBSD servers. What I'm trying
to do is follow up on the allegation made in that Microsoft has
either directly used or copied BSD code internally in its operating
systems, for example in the TCP/IP stack. Can anybody tell me what
evidence, if any, exists to back this up, or does anybody know of
someone who can answer that question?

To respond, please mail me directly. All comments will be considered
off-the-record unless and until you agree otherwise. Thank you for
your time!

Sincerely,

Stephen

--