Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 08:16:37 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW + Seagate ST32155

> I posted this message to the hardware list but haven't had any response
> so I thought I'd try -questions for a wider audience.
>
> I have just got myself a new Seagate 2GB SCSI drive (2XL W Ultra) and am
> having problems getting things to work with it.  This is my first foray
> into the world of SCSI disks so I don't exclude the possibility of doing
> something stupid.
>
> The drive is terminated properly as far as I can tell (jumper on
> terminator enable and on term. power from drive) and the controller
> is configured to terminate automatically.  Since this is the only SCSI
> device I have I think it should be OK.
>
> The Adaptec SCSISelect messages on bootup suggest that the drive is
> detected OK (gives model#, drive designation etc. so that part of it
> looks OK.  If I boot to DOS (using my IDE disk) it seems to take too long
> after the starting msdos... message but eventually I get a prompt.  This
> delay also happens if I boot to my old IDE installation of FreeBSD (2.1R)
> before getting the boot prompt.
>
> If I run fdisk under DOS it hangs for a while and then returns a prompt.
> fdisk /status says no fixed disks installed (even though I booted from one).
>
> Booting to FBSD gives the following relevant dmesg lines:
>
> ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:17
> ahc0: aic7870 Ultra Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, aic7870, 255 SCBs
> ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> (ahc0:0:0): "SEAGATE ST32155W 0528" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 2049MB (4197405 512 byte sectors)

Is this from a -current or 2.1.5R?

> If I boot FBSD from a boot.flp disk (2.1R) I get the same messages during
> the boot sequence but never get to the install menu.  Looking at the
> second console (Alt-F2) I see these messages:
>
> ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): BUS DEVICE RESET message queued
> ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out
> ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset#1. 1 SCBs aborted

There were bugs in the 2.1Rversion of the aic7xxx driver.  These bugs and other
enhancements were fixed/made and exist in 2.1.5R and -current.  Try the boot
disk from 2.1.5R.

> This has all got me quite confused so I would appreciate any insights you
> may have.
>
> Other relevant hardware is:
>
> 100MHz pentium PCI Triton I motherboard.
> Award Flash BIOS
> Diamond Stealth 64 PCI display card (the only other PCI card)

What is it your trying to do?  A fresh install of FreeBSD onto the SCSI disk,
or format it and use it as extra disk space when booting from (E)IDE?
You should be able to use the 2.1.5R boot disk to do either one.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org