Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:13:28 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au
Subject:   Re: Clobbered partititon table .. :-(

>> How does one recover from the clobbered partition table that no longer
>> exists after you try to install another drive with the 2.1 install disk ?

>By writing down the figures before clobbering it.

>Or by remembring about the exact file system assignments that have
>been used by the time of installation.  This once helped me to recover
>from a clobbered BSD disklabel.

Or by restoring from an up to date backup:

	$root dd if=/dev/rsd0 of=/var/backups/mbr.rsd0 count=1	# save
	$root cp /var/backups/mbr.rsd0 /dev/rsd0		# restore

Or by remembering some values from an out of date backup:

	$root fdisk /var/backups/mbr.rsd0
	fdisk: Can't get file status of /dev/r/var/
	Cannot open disk /dev/r/var/ (No such file or directory)
	$root mail -s "someone broke device independence of fdisk" \
	      j@uriah.heep.sax.de				# :-)

and remembering other values in another way.

Bruce