Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 17:37:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to burn

> This is a documentation problem. There was always an example on find
> that had something like {}\; that would do a find and then execute a
> command. You could start at / and look for '-name "*.h*"' and then do
> your grep. I don't have this documented in "man find" and there are
> times when I need to do this.

Hi, Kent.  The -name and -exec options are documented.  Instead of -exec I
am in the habit of using the -print0 option and passing the output to
xargs, for example:

	% find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep foo

> Find won't look in a tarball and there
> are times when you would like to do that. This is probably one of
> them. I couldn't find the file on my system either.

Something like

	% find . -name '*.gz' -print0 | xargs -0 grep -Z foo | strings

would do that for compressed tarballs.  The mc utility lets you browse
them interactively.

> I also looked at /usr/X11R6 because it is a X11 gui cd-burner.

Good point.

> I'm assuming there is a
> x11-toolkit that such as tk-8.2.3 that hasn't linked their includes
> properly at this point.
>

> > If the fileis provided by another port, then the cd-write port should
> > depend on that other, and the maintainer of the cd-write port would
> > probably like to know about the problem.
>
> I have found a few of these lately. It is amazing what happens when
> you forget to add things that everyone already has on their system.

At
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/errorlogs/e.5.20000419/cd-write-1.4.1.log
there's a log of an attempt of a build under 5.0-CURRENT on a clean
system.  You can see the port doing:

	pkg_add -f XFree86-3.3.6.tgz
	pkg_add -f tcl-8.2.3.tgz
	pkg_add -f tix-4.1.0.007.tgz
	pkg_add -f tk-8.2.3.tgz

and compilation failing with the error that Walter described.

> Bison is a new one at 4.0 but everyone usually has automake and
> autoconf on their system. Code Crusade has problems this way and so
> did LessTif but it was fixed by a recent commit. They don't get fixed
> unless we pass the problems on to the maintainer.

The maintainers of the ports are aware of the bento system, but at least
one doesn't check it very often. :-)
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt