Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:57:03 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using `ping' to diagnose network connections reasonable?

>I'd like to add some code to sysinstall which will attempt to
>`diagnose' a link before accepting the configuration parameters,
>catching a lot of adapter misconfiguration and incorrect data errors
>that sysinstall misses now (to fail less gracefully later).  My
>question is whether or not `ping' is a reasonable way to measure
>connectivity between your host and the gateway & dns machines.  Is it
>reasonable to assume that if a host supports forwarding or DNS
>queries, it will also answer pings?  What if you've got pings blocked
>somehow but allow DNS traffic through?  I wouldn't want to flag a host
>as `unreachable' when in fact it would have worked fine for its
>intended purpose!  That would be worse than no error checking at all.

my opinion is that if there is any reasonable chance of false failures then
don't
do it. Theres nothing more annoying than a program that fails for no good
reason.

Something that i would like (and if its in there please tell me!). is the
ability to escape
to a shell to do manual network diagnostics. I've had nfs fail due to minor
details and
it a real pain to reboot from floppy . I'd also like to use the install
procedure to configure the disk
and other basic stuff, and then escape to shell, nfs to my server and load
my custom system image.

Dennis

PS: got 2 more BSDI defectors last week....general comments are "BSDI has
pissed me off for the
last time".
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25