Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 16:17:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, "Heiner [G_tte]" <Heiner.Goette@web.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Deskjet 720C

Jerry Dunham wrote:

> How does one tell when shopping for used printers which ones are
> winprinters and which ones are real printers?  Is there a list available
> somewhere?

Many programs generate PostScript output, so having a printer with a
built-in interpreter for that--whether written by Adobe or a clone--is the
nicest thing.  A pitfall there is that there are Level 1, Level 2 and
(wait for it) Level 3 PostScript.  Trying to print Level 3 files on a
printer that only supports Level 1 or 2 will just get you an error
message.

If section 9.4.1.3 of the Handbook (
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing-advanced.html#PRINTING-ADVANCED-PS
) didn't exist, I would attempt to write something similar here. :-)

The last I checked, the PPA project was said to be usable but only in
monochrome.  Also H-P's license for its Windows driver prohibits use on
more than one computer--so if, for example, you attached a PPA printer to
a computer running FreeBSD and shared it via Samba with several computers
that ran Windows, you'd be violating the license (IANAL but perhaps such
restrictions are legally untenable in parts of the world).

If you install the latest port of ghostscript
(/usr/ports/print/ghostscript6) it'll present you with a list of supported
output devices.  I don't know where to find a nice summary of the
capabilities and limitations of the various drivers, but there are
comments in the sources which should give you an idea.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt