Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:10:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vfs.usermount problem?

Hello,

I'm trying to allow a desktop user to mount CDs without root access.
(Yes, I know the security risks, but the user is me.  I'm not
comfortable keeping a root window open just to mount & unmount
documentation disks.)

The system is 3.3-stable, on a Toshiba 4015CDS laptop.  I've set
vfs.usermount=1.

When I try to mount /cdrom as a regular user, I get:

moneysink~;mount /cdrom
cd9660: Operation not permitted
moneysink~;

To try to solve this, I've chowned nobody.nobody, chmod 777 /cdrom.
I've made sure that cd9660.ko is proviously loaded.

The same operation succeeds as root, so it's not an fstab problem.

/var/log/messages has nothing interesting therein.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael