Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:51:50 -0700
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, MurrayTaylor <MurrayTaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WanIC 405 _IS_ End of Life -- what are the (netgraph) based  alternatives??

Hi,

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> An interesting proposition.  However, you might find it even easier to
> do a Hitachi HD64570-based board.  It should be much easier to modify
> the sr driver to work with it than to write a new one from scratch.

As other people already has said, it don't looks like that Hitachi is in
it for the long run, and it's not for higher speeds, I would like to
also be able to do E3/T3..... And anyway, the HD64570 is not a PCI chip,
requering additional chips to interface to the PCI bus.

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> We already have drivers in the tree for the infinion "MUNICHX" chip,
> when used with a FALC frontend.  We also have drivers for the MUSYCC
> from Conexant.

The PEB20321 (Munich32) supported in that driver is a channelized
version, that not really what people are asking for.... It's also low
speed, and support only one interface if used unchannelized. I don't
remember about the Conexant chip, but I think it's channelized too.
Paul, do you know how close the PEB20321 and PEB20534 are from a
programming point if view ? But the FALC phy might be good for the T1/E1
versions.

I have look around for sync serial controllers, but keep comming back to
the PEB20534, I think that the best chip available for the job.

Regards,

Soren