Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:29:45 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: request for a new "feature" as regards DDB

Greg Lehey writes:

>Good idea.  I'll add it to my list.  For those who don't know, I had
>planned to make some major changes to ddb Real Soon Now.

I can't remember if it was mentioned before, but I'd like to
see the hardware debug registers used for memory/io watchpoints.
I'll probably whip up something rudimentary in the next couple
days, but full blown support in ddb would be nice.  BTW has anyone
used the watchpoints claimed to be available in ddb?  It looks like
it goes through the vm system, does that make sense? The man page
says that watchpoints on user space work best, what sense does it
make to put a kernel watchpoint on a user address?

>On the other subject, changing out of X into character mode: I believe

SCO uses dbtty(0|1) to switch from vt0 to sio0 on the fly, they
also note that the serial line is not initialized in any way, so if
you've got a mouse sitting there, it's now you're console.  I'd
say this is probably one of the better ways to handle this situation.

>Greg

eric
--
erich@lodgenet.com