Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:18:15 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Eitan Shefi <eitans@mellanox.co.il>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "ping" with packets larger then 25152 bytes fails.

--8D1TCnBmjJJF2KCx

On 2008-Jul-16 12:37:59 -0700, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com> wr=
ote:
>> >When I run "ping" between 2 identical FreeBSD hosts, with packets larger
>> >then 25152 bytes, "ping" fails.
=2E..
>Isn't this sort of like going to your auto dealer and complaining that you=
 get vibration at 240mph?

I don't think so.  There are no specific limits on the size of ICMP
ECHO REQUEST or ICMP ECHO REPLY packets, therefore the only limit should
be the IP packet limit (64KB).  It does work with other IP stacks and
with the loopback interface on FreeBSD.

Poking around a bit more, the culprit looks like
net.inet.ip.maxfragsperpacket - which is set to 16 by default.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--8D1TCnBmjJJF2KCx

--8D1TCnBmjJJF2KCx--