Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        darrylo@sr.hp.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembling new machine

> Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> wrote:
>
> > If you don't need a 7200 rpm drive, IBM has several good drives at 5400
> > rpm. They run slower but also cooler than 7200 ones. I have a DORS-32160 (2
> > GB) and a DCAS-34330W (4 GB) and they run fine. Both are Ultra and the
> > 34330W is of course also wide.
>
>      Let me second the recommendation for the IBM 5400RPM DCAS 34330.
> Although it's only a 5400 RPM drive, it's relatively fast -- comparable
> to my old Quantum Atlas I's, which are 7200RPM drives.  The IBM is also
> a *lot* quieter and a *lot* cooler.  The 4GB version is also pretty
> inexpensive at $399 (http://www.basoncomputer.com), although this is for
> a bare drive *without* instructions (you can get the basic information
> off a sticker on the drive, or you can go to IBM's web site for detailed
> drive information).

Cation is in order here, Bason Computer is a grey market drive dealer,
they purchase excess OEM inventory and sell it to anyone who will buy
it.  They tend to stand behind it very well for the 1 year Bason warranty,
but do not expect to be able to file warranty claims with the drive
manufacturer.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD