Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:08:34 -0500
From:      Ben WIlliams <williamsl@Home.Com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: SOFTUPDATES

                                                    Tuesday, December 21, 1999
   How far back is "used to"? I have a 3.2-RELEASE box that I tried
booting into single-user mode both via `shutdown now` and 'boot -s'
and couldn't get it to enable soft updates on /. When I did
`shutdown now` it would complete the `tunefs -n enable rwd0s1a` but
when I remounted / (still in single user mode) it would not keep soft
updates enabled. When I tried it earlier today (it's at a remote site
now that takes me an hour to get to) I tried from "boot -s" and
managed to get rwd1s1e (/usr .. this box only has / and /usr mount
points on different physical IDE drives) to stay enabled but it
refused to even set the bit on rwd0s1a even though it was mounted RO.
Do I need [br]oot & fixit disks?

--
 Ben [too much uptime for a human body] Williams
 mailto:williamsl@Home.Com