Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:33:24 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: G400 Multihead in X?

Adam wrote:

> Does anyone know of any X servers (free or not, prefer free) that allow
> both VGA outputs on a Matrox G400 to operate?

I can tell you that XFree86 will not work.
It probably will never work either.

All the dual-monitor support in XFree86 4.0  (currently beta release
3.9.17)
needs 'a PCI device' for each monitor.
Note: An AGP card is seen as a PCI device.

So, you can do it with 2 PCI cards, or a PCI and AGP card.
You can also do dual-monitor with some of the Matrox cards
which have several PCI VGA chips on one card (along with a
PCI-PCI bridge chip)

Personally, I use a PCI Matrox Millennium II and a PCI Matrox
Millennium, in Dual-Monitor mode with XFree86 3.9.16 (a 4.0 beta
release)

Previously I also used XAccel Multi-Head version 4.1.1 with these
two Matrox cards.
They only support FreeBSD 2.2.x and not 3.x or 4.x-current.
You can run the code on newer FreeBSD releases, but there are
problems getting the ELF and a.out libraries in the right
places and getting the right defines files for builing
some of the X11 ports.

Good luck
Roger