Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:11:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        marcov@stack.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA Mode for FreeBSD

> From: "Marco van de Voort" <marcov@stack.nl>
>
> > >  Whether it would be desirable to take an interest supports FreeBSD
> > >  a mode of a hard disk ULTRA DMA 33 Mb/s or 66 Mb/s...
> >
> > FreeBSD fully supports UDMA drives.
>
> Even on machines and devices that don't support it :-)
>
> I get UDMA ICRC timeouts on a PIO-0 harddisk on a ide controller with a
> (VX) PIIX3 (which has afaik no UDMA) chip.

You can recompile your kernel, changing the flags for the HDD in
question to stop looking for UDMA, can't you?  The computer is only
going to do what you tell it to do, and if you tell it to use
something it doesn't have, it's going to try awfully hard to use it
anyway.

I have the PIIX4 chipset and it works well with UDMA, but I *thought*
PIIX3 supported it was well...

--
Derrick Baumer - Black Duck Software
        <bduk@earthlink.net>