Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:11:09 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:48:55AM -0700, Lee_Shackelford@dot.ca.gov wrote:
> Greetings readers of this newsgroup.  I am a very newbie BSD user.  My
> computer has an Intel processor.  I have a question concerning Linux
> emulation.  I understand from the book by Ms. Annelise Anderson that, in
> order to run a Linux program under BSD, the user must first install an
> emulation program that is 60 megabytes in size.  I had thought that all
> Unix variants worked similarly.  I am puzzled as to just why the 60
> megabyte program is necessary, and wonder just what it is that it does.
> There are several complete operating systems that are less than 60
> megabytes in size (i.e. MS-DOS, Minix).  I realize that this question may
> have been asked many times before.  If it has, could you just refer to me
> to the correct location to find the answer.  Especial thanks to the several
> readers of this newsgroup who responded very promptly to my previous
> question.

There is a whole chapter about this in the handbook.  Read it here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html

With regard to Unixen working similarly, there are many areas where there
are striking similarities.  However, each vendor, Linux distributor or *BSD
project has its own set of requirements, so these various OSes have grown
up to be quite different.  Yes there are OSes that occupy less than 60MB,
but most GNU/Linux systems and BSDs take up a lot more.  If you look
at the contents of the Linux emulation package, you'll see it installs a
kernel module to provide a kernel API emulator, as well as various utils
that are considered useful - Linux versions of certain apps, rpm package
manager - or essential - Linux runtime libs, etc etc.  Check out the
handbook for more details.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \