Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:04:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        shivak <shivak@crunch.shivakaul.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using IDE Tape drive causes panic

On Monday, 22 January 2001 at  1:34:59 -0500, shivak wrote:
> I am using an onstream 30gb tape drive (at least, i'm trying to). the machine
> is an old 486 running 3.4 (because 4.x doesn't have matcd support). i
> compiled a custom kernel with ATAPI and wst0 (the name for my tape drive).
> The drive gets detected on boot, etc. However, whenever I do a certain
> operation on the drive (like a dump, tar, or even a cat /dev/rwst0), the
> machine freezes with a kernel panic:
> Fatal Trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
> there are a few things which make the problem more complex - first, an op
> like "mt -f /dev/rwst0 fsf 1" doesn't panic. second, there is no /dev/wst0
> device (although there is a /dev/rwst0), and MAKEDEV doesn't appear to *try*
> to make the device (when i browsed through the code, MAKEDEV only says to
> mknod for /dev/rwst). What could the problem be? thanks

It's normal not to have the /dev/wst.  Tapes are characeter devices,
so they traditionally have the letter 'r' at the beginning of the
name.

As regards the panic, you're going to have to get more details here.
The best thing would be a dump and a kernel with symbols.  Then we can
do some looking at the problem.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.