Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:20:44 -0500
From:      David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com, jetman516@hotmail.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How Is Host AP Mode Going ?

FYI, a Pekka Nikander has done some work on 802.1x and netgraph.  He
presented a paper at USENIX called 'Authorization and charging in
public WLANs using FreeBSD and 802.1x'
(http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix02/tech/freenix/nikander.html).
You need to be a member to read it at the moment.  He has alpha code up
at http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/eapol/.

DaveD

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 10:48 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <5.1.1.6.0.20020919172534.03667bd8@pop.mail.yahoo.com>
>             Jacques Caron <Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com> writes:
> : Hi,
> :
> : BTW, are there any plans regarding porting all the updates Jouni
> made to
> : the Linux version of hostap (including per-client keys, 802.1X, use
> of a
> : user-mode daemon...), etc? Is somebody working on it already?
>
> nope.
>
> : Alternatively, is anybody working on having a generic "802.11 AP"
> netgraph
> : node? This would require the driver to hand over all 802.11 frames
> to that
> : node, and would provide equivalent functionality to the above, and
> probably
> : more (one hook per association, for instance). One could also
> imagine an
> : 802.1X netgraph node...
> :
> : If nobody is working on that, looks like I should try to start
> finding out
> : how kernel programming works ;->
>
> Well, there's some NetBSD code that's a little bit of a start on
> this.  I'd like to do something we can share between the BSDs, which
> makes a pure netgraph node a little undesirable.
>
> But at the moment, I'm cranking on NEWCARD/devd
>
> Warner

DaveD