Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:26:40 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
Cc:        Pete Fritchman <petef@binary.databits.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: icmp-response bandwidth limit question

Omachonu Ogali wrote:

> Sorry, once again, you are incorrect. This option affects TCP responses,

	Thank you for clarifying that.

> I don't think you see the point, his firewall is not letting ICMP in,

	He didn't have any evidence of port scanning, so barring evidence of
complicated answers, simple answers are usually best. However, since I
have no way of knowing one way or another, I'll let it go.

> ICMP response limiting (this should be renamed)

	I agree. You may want to send a letter to -current or -hackers, or
-arch regarding it.

> is kicking in as his machine is
> sending responses out to the offending machine. Please, re-read the kernel
> source/documentation before misinforming others.

	Given that this is not my area of expertise, I felt comfortable relying
on a previous post I had seen from someone who is in a position to know.
Fortunately, you were able to correct my oversight. Now you have to ask
yourself how much better things would have been if you had stepped in
with the benefit of your knowledge in the first place. :)

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.