Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:31:02 +0000
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Gabor Esperon <gesperon@yahoo.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What database i can use?

At 8:36 am -0500 26/12/99, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
>  > >I need a good database server in my network, under
>  > >FreeBSD 3.3
>  > >
>  > >What is recommended: Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL or
>  > >another?
>  >
>  > Previous responses by others are reasonable, although MySQL is better
>  > than Berend de Boer  said for quick and effective apps using many
>  > accesses - few (and not too complex) updates.
>
>I'm using MySQL for a couple of applications on my FreeBSD home
>automation system [...] the transactions are generally pretty simple
>with lots of inserts [...]

Yes, sorry, I should have been more explicit... MySQL is very fast,
but less good where you have many multi-user updates, particularly
across multiple tables. It has only one write thread, although many
read threads. Also, because it lacks row-level locking &
transaction/rollback it's necessary to use table level write locks to
achieve atomic write consistency unless you can absolutely guarantee
cooperative application-level access control (ie. you never use the
general MySQL client or non-cooperative applications to update/insert
while running multiuser).

Regards

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk
Pages: http://www.nadt.org.uk/