Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:33:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

> The most recent work I did was to make the kernel compile, boot,
> and run when built as an ELF executable.  That was met with a great
> big collective yawn when I committed it.  All available evidence
> indicates that nobody else gives a tinker's damn about FreeBSD-ELF
> except as something fun to argue about passionately.  (The people
> working on the alpha port are probably going to care about it some
> day, whenever they get around to that part.)  I'm not complaining,
> but I'm also not feeling encouraged to expend any more effort on
> it.

I think you need to document what needs to be done here.  I would
be happy to run an ELF kernel in my now (mostly) non-ELF environment.

Did you use the "fast call" conventions on the ELF kernel system
calls?  This would imply a libc rebuild, right?

(Some of us are pro-ELF for reasons other than toying with it 8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.