Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:29:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      nvp@mediaone.net
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: identd

> i recall a long running thread earlier this year concerning identd and
> ip-aliasing.  was this issue ever resolved, or was it just dropped?

I read the archive and it appeared to die.  In fact, I received one
answer when I asked the question (again) recently.  :-)

But the best answer that I've received is to use socks and run socks
as "whatever user" should be appearing via identd.  Or if you're
feeling inventive (and aren't really interested in something as
thorough as pidentd [IMO]), you might check out Linux's midentd and
play with that for a bit.

> it really is beyond my comprehension how identd is in such widespread
> use anyhow, it's like nobody even bothers noticing that it is one of
> the most often and easily faked protocols out there, and that very
> issue is addressed in the original rfc itself...  idiots everywhere.

So true, yet many IRC servers require its existence.  *sigh*

--
Nate Patwardhan, System Administrator
O'Reilly and Associates