Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 19:38:39 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Daniel K Fry <daniel.fry@unh.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard ethernet q's

You will get better response to this question if it's on the -mobile
list.  I've moved it there for you.

> Hi i am trying to get my ethernet card on my laptop to work
>
> it is an Accton EN2216 Ethernet PCMCIA card

OK, these work pretty well normally.

> my win95 device manager on the laptop says that the card is
> at IRQ15, I/O 0x300-0x31f

PCCARDs can be put just about anywhere, so that doesn't actually mean
anything.

> however, after setting up the kernel configuration off the freebsd  3.0
> boot disk, i get the following output:
>
> zp: pcmcia slot 0: ACCTON~EN2216-PCMCIA-ETHERNET~EN2216~R02~
> zp: slot1: no card in slot
> zp0: not found at 0x300

Hmm.  That's less than wonderful; is there any other hardware in your
system at 0x300?  (unlikely, given that W95 puts it there).

Have you tried the PAO boot floppy?

> obviously i eliminated any conflicts in my kernel configuration
> has anyone out there encountered any similar problems?

Sorry, not with that card, no.  But without knowing anything about your
laptop, there are some other possibilities that might be significant.

Most important of these is, if the system is a newer one, whether the
PCCARD controller is in PCCARD or CARDBUS mode - we don't support many
CardBus controllers, they need to be in PCCARD emulation mode.