Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 21:13:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Victor Granic" <vmg@novator.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it possible?

:Hello,
:
:I have run into the proverbial brick wall.  I am the administrator of
:a fairly busy electronic commerce Web site, www.ftd.com.  Because of
:the demand placed on a single server, I implemented a load balancing
:solution that utilizes NFS in the back end.  The versions of FreeBSD
:that I have tested (2.2.7 and 3.0) do not support exclusive advisory
:locks over NFS.  Last week I was directed to Terry Lambert's Web page
:on the freebsd.org Web server.  He makes available several patches
:for the kernel sources that supposedly fix the locking bugs.
:...

    I think Terry's stuff addressed kernel bugs.  In order for locking
    to work between NFS hosts, rpc.lockd needs to be implemented and
    nobody has taken up the task yet.  It's been a thorn in FreeBSD's
    side for a while now.  The RPC framework is in place, but none of
    the routine have been implemented yet.

	 				-Matt

:Thank you,
:
:Victor Granic
:
:...
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)