Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:52:49 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate to shrink a partition

In message <199906171805.AA208202723@broccoli.graphics.cornell.edu>, you wrote:

>>Alright, Let me tell you my sad story.
>>
>>I have a system which I have shipped to some other folks.  It has been
>>installed and operating on the network belonging to these other folks
>>for some long time now.  It is accessible over the Internet, but
>>physically, it is located in a galaxy far far away from me.  I have
>>no physical access to it, and the system doesn't even have a monitor
>>on it most of the time.  (And I would like to avoid asking these people
>>who are hosting it to put a monitor on it, because that is a hassle for
>>them.)
>>
>>The system is running FreeBSD 2.2.8.  Under heavy load it now crashes
>>and reboots itself on a regular basis... every few hours, at random.
>

>Oh, good.  Does this mean we won't be being bothered by that pesky
>IMRSS network scanner any more?

No, it just means that the thing now takes frequent breaks... to recover
for its various and sundry kernel crashes which (for the reasons I have
explained) I am not able to debug at the moment.

P.S.  *Somebody* needs to be cataloging all of these *&^%$#@ spam spewing
unsecured mail relays...  like for instance the 120 of them that IMRSS
has located at Cornell.

(Some other group has been scanning for, and publishing data about smurf
amplifiers for some time now.  The IMRSS project is just doing the same
stuff in the case of "spam amplifiers".  But I digress.)