Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 09:38:32 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        John Summerfield <summer@os2.ami.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large Hard Drive Trouble

John Summerfield wrote:
> Ohm I don't know about that. How long ago did the French decide
> Kilometre means 1000 metres?

Kilometer does mean 1000 meters, and kilobyte means 1024 bytes.
http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?prefix

> The suffixes K, M, G for x1000, x1000000 and x1000000000 predate the DP
> industry by a while.

And the word "port" predates it even more, yet "the DP industry" has
redefined it for special usage. There are many more examples of this,
many outside "the DP industry". Language changes over time.

> I've been in the DP industry for longer than Unix has existed, and on
> reflection, I think we got it wrong.

Possibly. But regardless, it's still used 2 different ways, which
frequently causes confusion, and that was my original point.
Regardless of which base is "correct", the HDD manufacturers _know_ that
using base 2 for byte sizes is generally accepted practice in the
industry, and they intentionally use base 10 because it _looks_ bigger,
NOT because they are trying to be on some side of some old argument.

--
If a bird in the hand
is worth two in the bush,