Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 00:25:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gdr@ajax.che.curtin.edu.au>
To:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De (Wolfgang Helbig)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does CTM have a future?

Wolfgang Helbig writes:

> I certainly do hope, that CTM does have a future.
> I have used it for three month now without any problems to keep my
> local cvs repository up to date.

I would just like to echo the same sentiments.  I've received cvs-cur
deltas for 10 months now and I consider it to be the best way for me
to keep that tree up-to-date.  The first delta was 2014 and apart from
some missing parts from the initial tree I snarfed from a local mirror,
CTM has performed flawlessly.  The last delta I got before spatter
splatted was 3112, so that's almost 1100 of `em.  I've just now seen
that deltas 3113 - 3117 have arrived and I've just finished applying
them - no problems.  So big thanks to Poul-Henning for writing CTM
and to Richard for stepping in and getting the flow going again.

Because of the problems I had initially with an incomplete `starter'
tree, I got into the habit of checking deltas carefully before trying
to apply them.  I wrote a shell script which runs CTM for me and
checks for any problems with the matching of the delta to the tree.
The script also allows me to apply deltas singly or in batches at
my convenience.  It works very well for me.  I still let this script
run the consistency checks but I haven't had a single problem in a
long, long time.

So I too really do hope this method of distributing deltas does have
a future.  Thanks very much, Richard, for what you have done.  I
thought you might like a report that everything seems to be 100% OK.

> This kind of service and availability certainly distinguishes
> FreeBSD from other free (and not so free) UN*X distributions.
>
> Thanks for keeping up your high standards.

Amen, brother, Amen :-).

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (gdr@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 3844 0400  Fax +617 3844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.