Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:08:17 -0700
From:      "Scott Worthington" <SWorthington@hsag.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <gill@topsecret.net>
Subject:   Re: Continued StarOffice Install Issues

Your problem may be that you are using 3.4-Release
instead of 3.4-Stable.

You should CVS your machine to get the latest
patches for the PORTS, and update your system.

Here's the URL for the instructions to get the stable release:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/stable.html

If you are unfamiliar with getting your machine to the
latest stable setting, here's another URL for your reading:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#CVSUP

Next, it would be best to recompile the OS:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html=20

And recompile your kernel:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

After you've CVSUP'ed the newest ports, you can go into
the StarOffice5 ports directory and 'make install'

The latest updates to StarOffice5 should work--it did for me on
for my AMD K2/400 workstation and ThinkPad at home
over a dial-up modem connection to my ISP.

>>> "[gill]" <gill@topsecret.net> 03/09/00 09:40AM >>>

Well, there ain't much in the archives I haven't read already about this. =
=20
I do suspect I'm missing something in my FreeBSD 3.4-R install, but I'm
not sure what.  I found posts about including POSIX compliance in my
kernel which I had not done before, but it hasn't seemed to make a
difference in my install difficulties.

I am interested in hearing any suggestions or comments on how to get
StarOffice installed.

Here's a brief synopsis:

FreeBSD 3.4-Release
/etc/rc.conf has linux_enable=3D"YES" (thanks, sysinstall)
kernel has POSIX options:"P1003_1B"
			 "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
			 "_KPOSIX_VERSION=3D199309L"
running gnome-1.0.53
running enlightenment-0.16.3
running perl 5.005_03=09

I 'su'd and moved to the /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5 dir to 'make
distclean' and 'rm -R /home/myuser/Office51' to clean up what I'd already
done.  I recreated the /ports/distfiles/staroffice5/ and put the .tar file
from Sun in there.  I did 'make install' and watched.  eventually
the X11 portion of the install started.  I clicked through that with no
trouble but perl warnings* showed up in the terminal after the installer
window closed.  Once I was presented with a root prompt again I did
'make post-install' and got the same perl warnings* again but no other
errors.  Then I dropped out of 'su' to my user account and did 'make
install-user' and the user version of the GUI installer started
up.  Everything seemed to go fine, the files copied, the status bar
churned up to 99% and the installer hangs, dies, the window never
refreshes and the installer never recovers.  Trying to run the
~/Office51/bin/soffice link does nothing.  Pounding my fist on my desk
does nothing.  Swearing, however loudly, seems to create a fine mist that
covers the front glass of my monitor ... oh to be composing this in my
shiny new office suite.

for a *very* detailed description of what I'm doing and how, see the
message I posted a couple of days ago to this list or email me privately
and I'll forward it to you.

* These are the perl warnings I keep getting, I'm not sure what to do to
correct them
	perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
		LC_ALL =3D (unset)
		LC_CTYPE =3D "en_US"