Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 09:17:04 -0500
From:      Ben Kadish <Ben.Kadish@happcontrols.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel build question

I'm not having any problems. I just have a question about general kernel
design:

It is my impression that _GENERALLY_ the only reason one needs to build
various devices and modules into the kernel itself, rather than as modules,
is if those modules are required to boot the machine (e.g. scbus would have
to be compiled into the kernel to boot from a scsi drive). Is this
generally correct? I suspect that many of the pseudo-devices are a
different story.

Regards,

Ben Kadish              Ben.Kadish@happcontrols.com
Network Analyst