Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:25:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Debbie Machado" <ldmservices@charter.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: (Re: Why do you support Yahoo!)

Debbie Machado <ldmservices@charter.net> types:

Please don't do this to the questions@freebsd.org list. Send plain
text instead.

> I noticed Yahoo has you listed as one of their business supporters. I
> stopped using Yahoo aggressively after I realized they support all religions
> except Christianity. Just try to find a Christmas card about Christ amongst
> all the other religious cards they freely give users access to on their main
> page for "Christmas".  Since Yahoo refuses to acknowledge Christmas as an
> American Religious Holiday, like the other ones they list, I figured this
> year I would sent out a Christmas card from their service to all my family,
> friends, business associates, clients, & online news media simply explaining
> what I've observed and how it makes me feel.  I also will list all the
> sponsors, advertisers, & partners as supporters.  You don't need to respond
> to me. YOU NEED TO REACT TO THEM.  In Him -Debbie

First, to answer the question - to my knowledge, FreeBSD doesn't
support Yahoo. Yahoo runs their business on FreeBSD software, but
that's not something we have much to say about - other than being
justifiably proud of providing the software foundation for one of the
busiest sites on the web.

As for your complaint about them - it seems to be false. On the
e-greetings page, I see a short list of religious holidays, including
Christmas (the Christian holiday of the season). Following that link,
I find a listing for "religious" Christmas cards, among others kinds
that people celebrating Christmas are liable to want. Following that
link, I find two pages or twenty-two cards of a noticeably Christian
nature.

Compare that to the link for Winter Solstice, which takes you to the
one and only card offered for that holiday. If I thought boycotting a
company for such reasons was rational behavior, I'd say my doing so
was more justified than your doing so.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.