Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:27:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joao Carlos <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum

On Thursday, 22 July 1999 at 21:07:38 -0300, Joao Carlos wrote:
> may i use vinum to mirror a disk is already working without losing
data ???

Well, not if you mean to mirror the existing partition with a new one.
Vinum takes up about 128 kB of space at the beginning of the
partition.

> i mean...i have a 6gb disk with many (important) data. I bought another 6gb
> disk (identical) and wat to mirror it.... can i do it without losing data??

One way you could do it is like this:

1.  Create a new volume with one plex, on the second disk only.
2.  Copy the existing data to the vinum volume.
3.  Check that everything worked!
4.  Remove the original data and create another plex in its place.
5.  Attach the plex to your volume.
6.  Start the plex.

Greg