Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:37:02 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Locating obsolete ports distfiles

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I currently have just over 8GB is /usr/ports/distfiles.  Some of these
> files are more than 10 years old and long obsolete.

> Does anyone have
> any suggestions on how to identify which files are no longer referenced
> by current ports?
>
> Doing a 'make checksum' on every installed port and then looking at
> the atimes is one approach but this doesn't handle:
> - ports that I don't currently have installed but might need
> - ports installed on systems that mount /usr/ports readonly

I have 22 Gig, but none so long unused.  I run numerous machines
with different releases, & dump distfiles belonging only to some
old release each time I've upgraded the last old host, I sub divide
distfiles by release, like this:

Periodicly (eg for new relases) I move my distfiles to a directory named by
release, & add the new directory name to a fetch list in make.conf, eg
	 http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src/jhs/etc/make.conf
& run cd /usr/ports ; make fetch BATCH=YES ; make fetch INTERACTIVE=yes
I strip fetched duplicates with my
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/bin/.sh/distfiles_cmpd
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/cmpd/
Advantages:
	Lowered paranoia :-) Never deleted all distfiles.  Easier to copy
	release related stuff to laptops about to lose net connectivity.
Disadvantages: Slow. Would also need lots of space temporarily, except
	I run distfiles_cmpd in a while loop, parallel to the fetch.
	Not a `standard solution'.
--
Julian Stacey     Consultant Systems Engineer, Munich.     http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html = Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.