Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:27:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: crypted remote backup

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> What is password security like in programs like RAR ?  The warez traders
> seem to like to use it for posting to newsgroups because you can add extra
> recovery information into each of the parts/volumes.  There is also a built
> in encryption option. Do think it is sufficiently safe ?

While you're at it, you might want to look at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/parchive/

It's a utility to recreate parts of split files that become damaged or
lost.  It's basicly RAID for files.  I haven't used it myself on BSD, but
a tried it on a Windows box, and it did as advertised.

--
Matt Piechota