Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:14:49 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any users of matcd(4), mcd(4), or scd(4)?

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:01:07PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
=> [...] Note
=> that if support for these ancient devices was dropped, it wouldn't
=> be dropped until 5.0.  4.x. would continue to support these devices
=> forever.

During my last cvsup (I track 4.x-STABLE [RELENG_4]), I noticed that
the /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/matcd directory was deleted.  When I browsed
the CVS repository, it appeared that matcd support was axed on
Oct. 5th, somewhat contradicting the notion that 4.x would continue to
support these devices. :-\

I can appreciate matcd being dropped for 5.0 on pragmatic grounds, but
it would have been nice to have it ride out the rest of 4.x, given that
it actually works right now.  (As I understand it, it's the adoption
of GEOM that signalled the death knell of these old drivers, but GEOM
is a 5.x feature that wouldn't be MFC'd back to 4.x...)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa