Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:22:16 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
Cc:        loren@pciway.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.0-RELEASE -> 4.1-STABLE..

On 9/20/00, 10:12:14 PM, Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc> wrote regarding =

Re: Upgrading from 4.0-RELEASE -> 4.1-STABLE..:

> Huh?

> I didn't have to merge rc.conf, it didn't replace it!
> I don't use sendmail.cf as I use and prefer qmail will the almost 30=20
domains this
> machine hosts.

> What I had to do though was take care of sendmail and remake the link =

to qmail's

Loren Koss wrote:

> Thanks..  Like I said, I had done all those steps already (cvsup'd the=

> latest, built world, built and installed kernel), now I am on the step=
=20
of
> merging my files in /etc (like sendmail.cf and rc.conf, etc)..  I was =

just
> wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to things that were ABSOLUTELY=

> necessary for 4.1-STABLE to work.. Otherwise, I will reboot my box now=
=20
and
> hope for the best :)..

 the=20
"make
ly=20
wanted to
rate on=20
or

<snipped and trimmed at various points>

Dear Jan Knepper,

You may wish to _carefully_ read /usr/src/UPDATING.

In particular, you may wish to read the section dealing with updating=20
from 4.0-Release to 4-STABLE.

If you are wondering why such a change in the classical procedure was=20
decided, you will want to browse the -stable archives as well,=20
starting from July 10, 2000. If you do that, you will also learn about=20
what kind of problems occurred to those who did not [bother to] follow=20
the recommended procedure.

In /usr/src/UPDATING, you should not fail to notice the mergemaster(8)=20
step; which step is also indicated in the handbook (cf chap. 18.4.7).

Best regards,
Salvo